Tuesday, May 13, 2008

bread....

baking bread... yum... around here, it's not really a luxury, even though it seems like one. It's actually a necessity. We follow the Feingold program. What that is, is removing all artificial colors and flavors, and certain preservatives from our diet. Ok, well, I cheat sometimes, but mostly for the children. We have some pretty energetic kids around here, and I ain't talking about goats... wish I was. Anyways, we have discovered thru using this program that my children are sensative to, or even could be considered allergic to, these additives. For example, our pretty much extreme example, my son Michael. He's a wild bundle of energy, and that's when he's not on any colors, flavors or preservatives... when he is on them, he's dang near unhandleable. One item in particular, we have discovered, sets him off like no other. Artificial vanilla, or vanilin, as its often known. It makes him rebellious, moody, and agressive... very agressive. Our lives are much better having gone on this program.

So, what does this have to do with baking bread? Well, a lot, actually. Most store bought breads contain what we call "bad stuff." There are some breads that we could have, but 1. we can't find them, and 2. we can't afford them. So, where does that leave us? Why, with the horrid task of making our own, wholesome, delectable smelling, warm, crusty bread.... bummer for us...LOL We have also started grinding our own wheat.... why? well, because I think it's better for us. Bread can easily be made with regular old store bought all purpose flour, in fact, that makes a mighty fine loaf. But I'm really enjoying the ability to make our own... and the health benefits.. Well, just turn on your tv or open up a magazine and you'll see the many benifits of whole grains.

So, why this whole shpiel on bread? Well, let me show you....

How's that for yum? Too bad you can't smell it... delish! Now, this isn't our normal everyday bread, although it's close. This is my normal everyday recipe, but instead of using my whole wheat flour for the whole wheat portion, Michael wanted to try our 7 grain mix. Now, I will admit, I didn't expect much of it. I've never used the 7 grain on a loaf of bread. Why? well, because I hate change. I like eating things I know I will like, and I'm scared to spend time, energy and money on something that I might not like. silly, isn't it. Well, my first worry was that there wouldn't be enough gluten to make the bread rise well, so I added some in.




I don't think I should have worried... do you?




My son is well on his way in following the bread baking tradition within our family....

No comments: